The New York State Department Health (DOH) introduced several new questions to the daily hospital HERDS survey this morning. Hospitals must submit their responses to the survey by 1:00 p.m. today. Here are the new questions:
- Did your facility receive vaccine? (Yes/No)
- Estimated TOTAL number of employees AT YOUR HOSPITAL eligible for vaccine (including those who have taken, those who are scheduled, and those who have not taken)?
- Of these eligible employees at your hospital, how many have been offered vaccine or opportunity to schedule an appointment for vaccine?
- As of 8:00 p.m. yesterday, total number of employees AT YOUR HOSPITAL vaccinated for COVID-19? [logic: must be no more than the second question]
- Of those eligible employees who have not been vaccinated, how many have been scheduled for vaccination?
- Of those eligible employees who have not been vaccinated, how many are willing to be vaccinated yet have not been scheduled?
- To vaccinate those eligible employees willing yet not vaccinated, the limiting factor: Vaccine Supply / Other supply issues/ Administrative Capabilities / other (please specify)
- Of those who have not been vaccinated, how many have been offered vaccination and declined / decided not to schedule at current time?
- As of 8:00 p.m. yesterday, number of vaccines administered by your hospital/hospital staff to non-hospital staff for COVID-19?
- Total vaccinations administered by your hospital prior to this submission?
In discussions with State officials this morning, GNYHA stressed that because hospitals may not necessarily be collecting these data. they may not have it readily available to submit. We also noted that introducing new questions on the same day that responses are due may not result in the highest quality data. DOH nonetheless indicated that the State requires this new information to further adjust its vaccine program and distribution strategy. DOH emphasized that hospitals must submit the best information available. GNYHA will continue discussions with DOH to streamline and refine these questions for future submissions.
Hospitals may consider submitting any additional information about the limitations of their submitted responses in an email to the DOH general inbox.
Please contact me with questions about vaccine distribution and Jared Bosk or Scott Gaffney with questions about the daily HERDS survey.