The City Council Committee on Hospitals held an oversight hearing on “Prenatal Care in NYC Hospitals” on January 21. GNYHA Senior Vice President for Legal, Regulatory, and Professional Affairs Lorraine Ryan testified on behalf of GNYHA member hospitals. Her testimony (attached) covered:
- The challenges facing New York City hospital
- Prenatal care in New York City
- Disparities in maternal mortality and morbidit
- Responses by the City, State, and GNYHA member hospitals to the problem
- Additional steps we must take to improve maternal care
Much of the hearing focused on the use of doulas and midwives in prenatal care and racial disparities in maternal mortality and morbidity. Council Member Carlina Rivera (D-Manhattan) chairs the Hospitals Committee.