The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) released the attached alert about potential increased threats to health care facilities. The alert was issued in response to recent incidents in which a “racially motivated violent extremist” targeted a medical facility. The Islamic State of Iraq in ash-Sham (ISIS) has also endorsed attacks in countries impacted by COVID-19.
The alert specifically mentions the following potential threat indicators:
- Individuals surveilling medical facilities
- Frequent, multiple perimeter surveillance “false” alarms
- Testing security; sabotage or holes in fences or security barriers
- Vandalism of perimeter security equipment
- Persons seeking employment who do not have proper identification documents
- Negligent professional behavior or abnormal individual personal behavior
GNYHA urges all members to carefully review the FBI alert and increase facility security posture as warranted.