The New York State Department of Health (DOH) has released guidance (attached) concerning reports of providers being able to draw more than 10 doses of Moderna vaccine from shipment vials. DOH has consulted the US Food and Drug Administration and developed the following guidelines:
- Vaccinators may withdraw more than 10 doses from a single 10-dose vial
- Extra vaccine fluid from more than one vial CANNOT be combined to produce extra doses
- Use any extra vaccine that can easily be drawn into a syringe to meet the 0.5 ml dose requirement. This could be 11 doses.
- Enter all vaccines given into the New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS), including any additional vaccines given
- Inventory as shown and managed in NYSIIS will have to be modified
The guidance document also addresses reporting requirements and modifying inventory in the NYSIIS.
Non-Patient-Specific Standing Orders
DOH has released fillable PDF versions of non-patient-specific standing orders for the administration of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (attached) and the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (attached).
For a compilation of recent updates and guidance about COVID-19 vaccination distribution, please see GNYHA’s COVID-19 Vaccination page.